Tickets and Licenses You Need For a Job in Construction

Tickets and Licenses You Need For a Job in Construction

We are often inundated with enquires from job seekers wanting to know which tickets and licenses they should have to be able to work in the construction industry. With the construction industry being one of the largest employers in Australia, we understand the strong interest in entering the industry.

In Australia, there are a range of construction tickets and licenses available to allow you to work in different roles. While it is not possible for us to go into detail on each one of these tickets, the list we have compiled for you below will help you get your foot in the door.

If you want to work in the construction industry, you are legally required to have a White Card. A White Card training course will teach you everything you need to know about entering and working at a construction site such as:

  • Current legislation and requirements of construction work
  • Identifying construction hazards and risk control measures
  • Identifying incident and emergency responses
  • Identifying health and safety communication and reporting processes

For more information on White Card training and how to get one, click here. This is the bare minimum you need to work in the construction industry. With a White Card, you can get an entry level construction or general labouring role.

If you are looking for more challenging roles, a Working at Heights ticket will broaden your job prospects. Working at heights is one of the highest risk activities in the construction industry. If you plan to engage in work that requires you to work from a height, you are legally required to possess a Working at Heights ticket. A Working at Heights training course will teach you how to perform your role safely and efficiently. For more information on what’s involved when working at heights, read this blog post.

If your work involves having to enter and work in confined spaces (either enclosed or partially enclosed), you are legally required to possess a Confined Space ticket. Confined spaces are areas that are not intended to be entered by a person and therefore, carries a lot of health and safety risks. Some examples of work which requires a Confined Space Entry ticket include sewers, trenches, tanks and vats.  To undergo Confined Space training, click here. If you would like to learn more about working in confined spaces, our blog post titled ‘What is a Confined Space?‘ gives you a rundown on everything you need to know.

Some tasks on a construction site requires you to access hard to reach areas in order to get the job done. This is where an Elevated Work Platform ticket comes in handy. There are two classes of EWP:

  • License to operate a boom-type Elevated Work Platform (boom length under 11 meters)
  • License to operate a boom-type Elevated Work Platform (boom length 11 meters or more)

It is worth noting that operating an Elevated Work Platform with a boom length of 11 meters or more is considered a high risk activity and therefore requires a High Risk Work License. An EWP training course will give you theoretical knowledge and practical experience to operate an EWP correctly and safely. To learn more about why you should get a EWP license, click here.

A High Risk Work License is a photographic license issued to people who have been trained and assessed as competent to work in a class of work defined ad high risk work. You require a High Risk Work License to perform the following tasks on site:

As previously mentioned, there are numerous tickets and licenses available for job seekers wanting to get into the construction industry. The above mentioned tickets and licenses are the commonly requested ones by employers. At Nara Training & Assessing, we offer a range of civil training and high risk work training courses that are designed to give you the knowledge and skills you need to enter and work in the construction industry. For the full range of available courses at Nara Training & Assessing, visit

Skill Hire is a nationally operating training and employment solutions provider. Skill Hire’s unique business model brings together the core capabilities of a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 0361), a Group Training Organisation (GTO) and a labour hire company with added ability to deliver Government initiatives and programs.

Once you undergo training and acquire the above mentioned tickets and licenses, Skill Hire’s labour hire division can help you find employment in the construction industry. For current job opportunities, click here.

If you want to take your career in construction a step further, we strongly recommend you to undertake an apprenticeship or traineeship in a field of your choice.

Did you know that Nara is part of Australia's leading Training, Workforce Development and Employment Agency?
  • Download a free course guide

    Complete your details to receive a free course guide and to be contacted by an Nara Training Course Advisor.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Nara Training has received a fantastic 4.4/5 star rating startratingfromgoogle from 5 Clients on Google. A huge thank you to our wonderful clients!